Archive digitization



Aviation and Diplomacy

Frank Piasecki

NATO 1949-2009 Projekt ekspozycji w Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego w Krakowie



Polish Aviation Museum

31-864 Kraków,
al. Jana Pawła II 39
phone: (12) 640 99 60,
(12) 642 40 70
e-mail: info@muzeumlotnictwa.pl

a cultural institution of the Malopolska Region

Małopolska – Kraków Region


Patronage

Kraków Airport







Glider: WWS Wrona bis

WWS Wrona bis
Poland
primary training glider
1937



  • Technical data


Span 9.3 m
Length 5.6 m
Wing area 13.9 m2
Empty weight 75  kg
Take-off weight 150 kg
Glide ratio 11 at 50 km/h optimum speed
Sink rate 1.2 m/s at 48 km/h economy speed
Minimum speed 45 km/h
Max. diving speed

 

This is a single seat, truss fuselage, strutted upper wing school glider.

The Wrona (crow) was designed by engineer Antoni Kocjan. The prototype was built at the Glider Workshops in Warsaw and was flown in spring 1932, by engineer Stefan Grzeszczyk. The Wrona appeared to be a successful school and training glider and was produced at a several domestic and foreign works. The gliders were widely used at almost all gliding schools in the pre-war Poland. Using available technical documentation, they were also built by amateurs.

The improved Wrona derivative was named the Wrona-bis. It had the wing span increased up to 9,8 m and the reinforced construction. The Wrona-bis gliders were built in 1934 - 1939 at the Antoni Kocjan Workshops, the Military Glider Workshops in Krakow, the Scout's Glider Workshops in Warsaw and some gliders organisations. In total, 400 gliders were built. They were in service with the renown gliders schools at the Bieszczady Mountains - Ustianowa and Bezmiechowa. They were also built from licence in Estland, Finland, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia and Palestine. In 1935, a sail flight lasting 4 hrs and 07 min was performed on a Wrona by Piotr Mynarski.

In 1939 the surviving gliders were shortly used by the Germans and then handed over to Slovakia (twelve gliders). In 1942, the Polish trained on Wronas in Palestine. One such glider is on display at the Hatzerim Air Museum, Israel. In Poland, only one (produced at the WWS Works in Krakow) Wrona-bis survived. After the war it was restored at the Gliding Institute in Bielsko-Biała and was used for the in-flight tests. Currently, bearing the SP-127 after-war number it is on display at the Polish Aviation Museum.

Back

 


Dofinansowano ze środków Ministra Kultury i Dziedzictwa Narodowego
© NeoServer 2009 -      - Polityka obsługi "ciasteczek" -