Aircraft engine: Pratt & Whitney R-1830-S3C4-4 Twin Wasp
|Configuration||14-cylinder double radial|
|Displacement||30 l (1,830.7 cu. in)|
|Propeller reduction gear ratio||0.56|
|Maximum power||1,200 hp at 2,700 RPM|
|Climb power||1,100 hp at 2,550 RPM|
The engine was designed at the Pratt & Whitney plant in East Hartford, Connecticut, USA. The company was established in 1925 by former employees of another famous engine factory Wright. It is the most numerously built engine of this shape in the history of aviation. The production started in 1934. The displayed engine represents the first version with two speed supercharger, introduced in 1939. This solution increased the ability of the engine to be used on aircraft operating on higher altitudes. The engine powered the F4F Wildcat, Vickers Wellington IV, Douglas A‑20 Havoc, Douglas C‑47B Dakota and Bristol Beaufort aircraft.