Polish Aviation Museum

31-864 Kraków,
al. Jana Pawła II 39
phone: (12) 640 99 60,
(12) 642 40 70
e-mail: info@muzeumlotnictwa.pl

a cultural institution of the Malopolska Region

Małopolska – Kraków Region

Mecenas Muzeum

Kraków Airport

Instytut Techniczny Wojsk Lotniczych - sponsor restauracji samolotu Caudron  CR.714 Cyclone

Patroni Medialni

Skrzydlata Polska

Glider: IS-4 Jastrząb 'SP-1383'

IS-4 Jastrząb 'SP-1383'
aerobatic glider

  • Technical data

Span 12.0 m (39 ft 4 in)
Length 6.25 m (20 ft 6 in)
Wing area 13.75 sq m (148 sq ft)
Empty weight 255 kg (562 lb)
Take-off weight 340 kg (750 lb)
Glide ratio 19.6 at 82 kph (51 mph, 44 kt)
Sink rate 1.08 mps (3.5 fps) at 73 kph (45 mph, 39 kt)
Minimum speed 62 kph (39 mph, 33 kt)
Max. diving speed 450 kph (280 mph, 243 kt)
Virtual tour :


A single-seat all-wooden aerobatics glider of shoulder-wing cantilever monoplane configuration.

The construction and the aerodynamic design of the Jastrząb (eng. hawk) was worked out by engineer Józef Niespał in 1948–1949 at the Gliding Institute in Bielsko-Biała. The completion of the factory drawings took half a year. The prototype flew in December 1949. It featured very good flight characteristics, though to perform aerobatics it had to be accelerated by a diving flight. Strong construction and good aerodynamics allowed the glider to exceed the speed of 500 kph during test flights.

In April 1952, series production of 10 gliders started at the Experimental Gliding Institute (previously the Gliding Institute) in Bielsko-Biała. Another series of 25 gliders was produced in Krosno in 1953. Three IS-4 Jastrząbs were exported to the People's Republic of China and to the German Democratic Republic. Thanks to its virtues, Polish aero clubs retained the Jastrząb through many years – until the end of the sixties. During air shows organized in those years the appearance of the Jastrząb always guaranteed an unforgettable spectacle of aerobatics.

The IS-4 Jastrząb factory number 09 registered as SP-1383 was built at Krosno glider works in 1953. It was operated by the Aero Club of Kraków from March 1954 until December 1969. It was donated to the Museum in 1970.


Dofinansowano ze środków Ministra Kultury i Dziedzictwa Narodowego
© NeoServer 2009 -      - Polityka obsługi "ciasteczek" -